At Seven Hills the aim of Physical Education lessons is to promote movement through fun activities that improve health and well-being. Physical Education can contribute to the physical, social and emotional well-being of all children. There are many potential benefits of regular physical activity for children:
- Improved health
- Healthy growth and development
- Improved muscular strength, endurance and flexibility
- Enhanced self-esteem
- Improved social and moral development
- Reduction in anxiety and stress
- Helping to maintain a healthy weight
- Improved cognitive functioning and academic achievement in school.
The aims of our PE curriculum are to develop pupils who:
- Have and maintain high levels of physical fitness.
- Have a keen interest in PE – a willingness to participate eagerly in every lesson, highly positive attitudes and the ability to make informed choices about engaging fully in extracurricular sport.
- Are able to remain physically active for sustained periods of time and have an understanding of the importance of this in promoting long-term health and well-being.
- Are willing to practise skills in a range of different activities and situations, alone, in small groups and in teams, and to apply these skills in chosen activities to achieve high levels of performance; improving social and communication skills, accepting disappointment, following rules (i.e. skills for life)
- Accepting British values such as mutual respect , rule of law, reflecting on others and their own performance, congratulating others successes.
- To follow national standard guidelines- 1hr minimum of PE completed per week with a variety of activities provided.
We aim to offer a high-quality PE curriculum that allows students to experience a variety of activities therefore developing a wide range of skills. As a result, they develop the confidence to take part in different physical activities and learn about the value of healthy, active lifestyles in order to promote lifelong physical activity. Below is an example of what activities we might offer throughout a year and the accreditation we may carry out in those activity areas: