At Seven Hills School, we believe that every child can live life in all its fullness by offering a stimulating and inspiring learning experience in Maths. We believe that every student has the right to an inclusive mathematics education and that each and every student can achieve in maths. This will be delivered through high quality teaching and learning experiences that help develop their understanding of the world and the environment in which they live in. As a school, we are committed to designing and delivering a curriculum that enables students to reach their individual potential throughout their journey in school and prepare them for adulthood and life beyond Seven Hills. We want them to know that Maths is essential to every- day life, and for them to understand concepts such as time, money, weights and measures. As our students progress we intend for them to be able to understand the world, have the ability to reason and have a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject. This positive growth mind set will ‘equip pupils with the knowledge they need to succeed in life’ and help them succeed for the challenges of the wider world and its complex cultures and diversity.
We value functional skills and understand that they are a key driver to success and promoting independence. They open doors to learning, to life and to work. We pride ourselves on the functional opportunities that we provide for our students whether this is through our differentiated curriculum pathways, delivering lessons based on aspects of life skill such as time, measures and money or through meaningful, appropriate accreditation, which promote skills for adulthood or as a platform on which to build employability skills. Students are provided with experiences where they can explore their curiosities, embed their understanding and knowledge through reasoning techniques as well as experiencing a sense of enjoyment, achievement and an appreciation of the power of Mathematics.
We aim for all pupils to:
- have a rich and supportive numeracy-based environment across school that develops core number skills enabling students to reach their potential in maths.
- become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics so that they develop abstract understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- be able to solve problems by applying mathematics to a variety of problems with opportunities to develop their skills through appropriate amounts of complexity and challenge, including unfamiliar contexts and real-life scenarios.
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, through exploration and investigations and develop and present their understanding through varying forms of communication and mathematical language.
- access an engaging and enriching curriculum that inspires students to continue to build upon their own mathematical skills.
- develop practical applied skills needed for success in work, learning and life.